Wikipedia

Search results

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I finally retired















On July 26,2013 I finally retired from work. It wasn't voluntary, I still had 12 years that I could have worked, but it was out of necessity. My entire life I have struggled with various health problems, but the problem that forced me to have to leave was my knee. The knee joint is literally bone on bone, and it was interfering with my being able to get in and out of my former place of employment. 

There are days when I literally cannot put pressure on my right knee,that's how bad it is. The joint broke down mostly from the extra weight I carry around, compounded by the fact that for the first 15 years I was with my former place of employment, I spent standing on uneven cement floors.


Several years ago my sister in law finally said something about me retiring. She noticed how hard it was for me to maneuver stairs, and basically move around,and I have developed a problem with balance. Even though she meant well, my pride got in the way, and I responded by saying if I were to retire, I'd be bored out of my mind with nothing to do.


So I continued struggling, taking longer and longer to get dressed and get myself into work. It finally came to the point where last spring, I had to install a custom shower with a larger seat, and the hand held shower head on the side wall, just so I can wash up on a daily basis, because I can't stand long in the shower, plus I am a fall risk. I've also had to get the system where I have the pendant around my neck to press in case of a fall. Unfortunately I've had to use the pendant more then once.

So I finally set my pride aside, and retired, and you know what? I'm not bored. I have things to do on a daily basis that keep me occupied, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to still live independently. I have family members who help me out with my grocery shopping, and a couple of nice neighbors that get my garbage out to the curb so I won't have to struggle with the trash can and my walker. 


So retirement has been good to me so far. Now I'm glad I did it.  The one thing I want to do is get back to writing my blogs on a regular basis.  So here I go, I'll be trying to post on a regular basis again.

Blessings and hugs to you all





No comments: