Wikipedia

Search results

Sunday, March 23, 2014

My Insensitve Aunt

My dad comes from a family of 9. There were a total of five sisters and 4 brothers. A few of them have quirky personalities, and are OK to be around. But one in particular is the most insensitive, self-centered, critical, and hurtful person I know.

Laverne is very critical about how a person looks, when she is hardly a beauty queen herself. For example, when I was about 9, my parents dropped my siblings and I over to her house for a few hours while they did some errands.  In the mean time, her husbands niece was coming over for a while also. Laverne went to open the door, and said this," Donna is here, look how FAT she is."  I was taken aback at her  insensitivity even at that age, maybe because I've had a weight problem since childhood. When Laverne made this statement, I thought to myself, If she says that about Donna, what does she say about me? She's even like that with her own grandchildren. Her middle son has a set of twins that are in their late twenty's, and Laverne always comments on how FAT they are. Not that their smart, funny, caring etc. Just how FAT they are. As critical as she is, she doesn't get why her grandchildren rarely come to see her. I don't blame them, because personally I don't want to go visit her.

Laverne also says inappropriate things at inappropriate times.  Her youngest son had a very bad first marriage. That particular wife was a serial cheater among other things, but he finally had enough and divorced her.  A few years ago at Christmastime, a group of our family members were gathered together at my parents house. A few of us were sitting at a table just gabbing, and Laverne was talking about her sons first wife, and no it wasn't very nice,  when Laverne just blurted out, " Melissa is a nymphomaniac." That moment of shock set in, you know the one were everyone holds their breath and thinks simultaneously, " Did I just hear that?"  That statement Laverne made something one just shouldn't make, mainly because it was inappropriate, and also because she shouldn't of been airing her sons personal life to others. But leave it to Laverne to be insensitive and evil.

Laverne is a tattletale. We have a saying in my family that goes,

"There are three forms of communication,

Television,

Telephone, and

Tell Laverne."

If there is something you want to keep private, defiantly don't tell Laverne, because she'll spread all the information she has around in a hot second.
several years ago, some friends and I went to a local Greek restaurant for coffee and desert, and wouldn't you know Laverne was there with a group of ladies from her church. By the time I got home my phone was ringing, and it was my mother. Mom had told me that La Verne had called her, I was at the restaurant and told her who I was with and what I was eating. My mom also told me that what she didn't care one iota, because I was an adult, but that Laverne was up to her antics again.

For about 15 years I lived within walking distance from Laverne, and I found it annoying when my neighbors would tell me that Laverne was nosing around my house to see if I was home and ask them questions about what company I had at my house.  Knowing that she does this on a regular basis, my one neighbor would call me and give me a heads up when he saw Laverne pass his house so I could decide whether or not to open the door. Most of the time I didn't answer the door for her. One time in particular, I had a friend I had known from High School over for dinner, and after that we were going to head out for a night of fun. Well I had locked the screen door to get into the house, but I had forgotten to lock the door for the screened in porch. Wouldn't you know Laverne was coming to snoop to see what company I had, and there she was looking in my door. I told her that Greg and I were in the middle of eating, and I got up and shut the door to the house. Withing 30 minutes Laverne had called my parents and everyone she could, and told them I was rude and 'Slammed' the door in her face. She was the rude one for snooping around and putting her nose in my business,

I could also use the above story under the heading of Laverne is an attention seeker. Which she is.
Laverne thinks the world should revolve around her. She'll call everyone and tell you when her birthday is and expects present or a card from them, but she won't acknowledge anyone elses birthday or Milestone
Anniversary. Laverne has neropathey in her legs, and tells perfect strangers that she has it so she can get sympathy. She's like a spoiled little child that jumps up and down shouting " look at me, look at me"

I've only shared a few stories with you, but there are a lifetime of stories that relatives can tell you of Laverne's lack of sensitivity and common sense. We all have one relative in our families that rub everyone the wrong way, and either don't realize they're doing it and hurting their family and friends, or just don't give a rats ass that they're doing it at all. In Laverne's case I think its equally both.

Blessings and hugs


No comments: