Wikipedia

Search results

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tattling


Cindy, you know by tattling on your friends, you're really just tattling on yourself. By tattling on your friends, you're just telling them that you're a tattletale. Now is that the tale you want to tell?
Mike Brady

In grade school, nobody liked a tattletale. In junior high, nobody liked a snitch. In high school and college, nobody liked a narc. And in the adult world, nobody likes a whistleblower.
I have an Aunt who we call the third form of communication, for all the private information she has no business reveling, she's alienated several family members because she just can't keep her mouth shut.
When I was in my early 30's I used to live within walking distance from her home. I thought it was a good idea at first, living near her just in case of an emergency. It ended up being one of the worst mistakes I'd made in my adult life. She was a regular little tattletale, reporting to various family members of my comeings and goings, to calling my parents when I had someone over who didn't leave until the next day.
Finally I had enough of her violating my right to privacy, and I moved 15 miles away from her, and she still can't fathom the reason why I moved so far away, and why my phone calls are so infrequent, while my other aunts and uncles figured it out from the get go.
Maybe one evening I'll invite her and a couple others over for a night of popcorn, and the Brady Bunch episode when Mike Brady has his little talk with Cindy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heheh My sister lives right next door to my parents and I use to live down the street. I remember those days of "who's at her house", "how long did they stay" lol

I will confess I live more than an hour away and although I didn't like the snooping and tattling its better than not knowing anyone around me.